Keeping your ETT fit and healthy starts with a healthy diet.
Feeding & Nutrition
At Lasagesse we made the decision a number of years ago to change from kibble and wet food to feeding all of our dogs on Raw food otherwise known as BARF. A BARF diet consisting of raw meat, bone, offal and sometimes; fruits, vegetables and supplements.
We now exclusively feed Raw food to all of our dogs, from weaning puppies to veterans.
As soon as we made the change we noticed a number of health & physical improvements immediately.
- Cleaner teeth and fresher breath
- Better weight control
- Improved digestion
- Shinier, healthier skin and coat
- Harder, smaller, less smelly stools
- More energy and stamina
- Improved muscle tone
We believe results speak for themselves and we will continue on the raw food path. There are many other stated benefits of raw feeding but the benefits stated above are the ones we have actually experienced to date.
How often to feed your dog
It’s best to feed a mature dog twice a day, once in the morning and then again in the evening.
Puppies need to be fed 3 times a day until they are mature.
Kibble & Dry Food
If raw feeding isn’t for you, you can also feed high quality kibble formulated for a toy breed. When feeding kibble, pay attention to the ingredients and watch out for:
- Single sources of protein
Look for specifics e.g. chicken rather than general meat
- Whole meat source listed as 1 of the first 2 ingredients
- 80/20 diet – 80% protein, 20% fruits, vegetables and botanicals, 0% grain
- Whole vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices and botanicals
- Meat by-products and derivatives
- “General” animal fat source – look for specifics e.g. chicken fat or beef fat.
The more general the source, the more suspect the ingredient
- Artificial preservatives
Including BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin
- Artificial colours & flavours
- Artificial texture enhancer propylene glycol
- Artificial sweetners
Corn syrup, sucrose, ammoniated glycyrrhizin, and other sweeteners are sometimes added to lower-quality foods to increase their appeal